You may be alarmed to find a roach in your home; even more alarming is the likelihood that there are many more behind them. Cockroaches are social insects that live in groups and are a common reason people reach out for help from Marlborough pest control companies.
The most common types of cockroaches in our area are the American cockroach and the German cockroach. We can show you some signs of cockroach infestation to look out for and how to deter cockroaches from entering your home in the future.
Easy-To-Spot Signs Of A Cockroach Infestation
Some easy-to-spot signs of a cockroach infestation are the following:
- Watch out for cockroach droppings in your home that look “pepper-like” on counters and in drawers.
- Pay close attention to areas under furniture and appliances for signs of cockroach eggs.
- Pay attention to the dark corners of your home; roaches often leave smear marks along floors and walls in the corners where they hide.
- Another characteristic of cockroaches is they shed their skin as they mature. Look for their shed skins in the areas they frequent.
- You may notice a mild musty smell when there is a large infestation of roaches.
Regularly check for these signs in areas of your home that contain water, such as basements, kitchens, and bathrooms where cockroaches tend to hide.
How Cockroaches Are Hazardous To Your Health
Cockroaches travel through garbage, dumps, sewers, and decaying matter and pick up pathogens on their spiny legs. Roaches then enter your home and contaminate your food and meal prep surfaces. Cockroaches spread over 30 bacteria, including E. coli and salmonella.
Cockroach droppings in your home can trigger allergic reactions and asthma attacks, especially in children and in people with weakened immune systems. Their shed skin and saliva can also cause allergy symptoms in many people.
The Best Way To Get Rid Of Cockroaches In Your Home
The best way to get rid of cockroaches in your home is to enlist the help of a company familiar with cockroach control. All types of cockroaches common to our area, like German cockroaches and American cockroaches, endanger the health of our families. Because cockroaches breed so rapidly, if you spot even one, you must reach out to a roach pest control company before you end up with a massive infestation in your home.
The cockroach control products sold over the counter don’t work very well. These products only work on roaches you can see and won’t work on their eggs. Cockroaches are highly adaptable and can form resistance to insecticides. Pest control companies can help you figure out how roaches have entered the home and ways to prevent them.
Five Tips To Prevent Future Cockroach Infestation
If you want to know how to deter cockroaches, here are five tips to help prevent a future cockroach infestation:
- Keep the kitchen very clean, wiping up spills and crumbs immediately.
- Frequently vacuum throughout the house, especially anywhere people eat.
- Thoroughly examine your home for any possible entrances and seal them up, checking for cracks in walls, especially around utility pipes.
- Ventilate basements and crawl spaces to eliminate any moisture buildup that may be attractive to cockroaches.
- Teaming up with a local roach pest control company can help you learn how to keep cockroaches from entering your home.
The most effective way to prevent and eliminate cockroaches is to enlist the help of a local pest control company. At Bug Bully Pest Control, our technicians are here to help keep your family safe. Reach out today for your free estimate.
In Your Own Words
Mike is wonderful! He responded immediately and was able to do an inspection the day I called, and the treatment just two days later. He charged significantly less than any other competitors in the area. I would highly recommend him!